LEGAL ADVOCACY MEETINGS FOR R&R
Throughout the BRIDGE 2.0 Project, Horizon Civitas team met with national and local stakeholders to provide recommendations for legal adjustments or actions of reintegration and resocialization for returnees from the conflict zones. We had meetings with Major of Cair Visar Ganiu, official at Ministry of Education Safet Neziri, and Head of Islamic Religious Community Shaqir Fetahu.
Some of provided recommendations are as follows:
- To engage two mentors / contact persons (with professional training in psychology, theology, and Arabic speakers) specially trained as returnee reference persons to support them in rehabilitation. She / he also facilitates contacts with government agencies, including those that can assist with housing, social services, and legal services, as well as the police.
- To develop courses for personal training (for language, handicrafts, tailoring, basic computer, carpentry, car mechanic, barber, hairdresser, gardening, kitchen, etc.) for each category of returnees (women, children, men, etc.) according to the needs of identified.
- To provide scholarships for returnee children from foreign conflicts, providing a legal framework through the adaptation of legislation in force.
- To provide extracurricular (online) courses for the children through the involvement of assisting teachers.
- Provide free digital equipment to assist the education process for these children
- In coordination with the Directorate for the Execution of Sanctions, to organize the ritual of Friday prayer in prisons by imams nominated by the respective Muftis in different cities. In this regard, to predetermine relevant topics that essentially aim to deconstruct thinking radically or extremely.
- Nominate imams and imams in relevant municipalities who will care for and serve for religious counseling to returnees (including women and their children). Counseling / care to be done on a weekly basis with various activities such as: family visits, friendly meetings / meetings, picnics, etc.
- To organize trainings such as School for Parents (in religious aspect as Mother’s school, fathers’ school), with a 10-week module (once a week) where psychological, sociological, religious, artistic, civic education topics are addressed; in order to stimulate good parenting.
- Organize reading programs according to profiles (especially for women, children, returnees). Establish a long-term program with predetermined goals (reading program 1 year / 1-2 books per month) for reading the resources provided by the official religious communities (BFI, KMSH, BIK). In order to stimulate the process, organize mini-tests about the predefined resources for a month, where symbolic gifts are provided for the winners.